The Girl Travels

A log of my recent adventures in Vietnam, Cambodia, Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First Day in Phnom Penh

Today I did a little exploring around Phnom Penh. Honestly, I didn't wander that far. First I went to the Central Market, which is only a few blocks from the hotel. This market has everything you could ever think of for sale: fruit, meat, cow brains (I saw 'em), perfume, toiletries, scarves, fabric, clothes, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, souvenirs, cooking implements, etc. There were tons of Cambodians there and very few foreigners. I did meet a doctor from Jordan: Dr. Baset Sadiq, who is a lecturer for Advisor of Youth for Peace, an organization in Cambodia. He talked to me a bit about the area and showed me the way to the riverfront, where I had lunch and saw the outside of the Palace and the National Museum. I think we have the opportunity to go inside them tomorrow after we see the killing fields and something else. Clouds have been gathering all afternoon, and by the time I got home, it was pouring rain. Mud and puddles are everywhere on the streets, as is tons of garbage. Unlike the Vietnamese, the Cambodians don't seem to have this organized.

My roommate had arrived while I was out. Her name is Shoshanna, and she's from New Zealand. This is her first of four tours, and she'll be travelling until December. She's nice, if a little peppy and know-it-all. Basically, I miss Carmen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home