The Girl Travels

A log of my recent adventures in Vietnam, Cambodia, Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A List of Things I Am Not Happy About

According to the Transportation Security Administration, I can no longer carry-on the following items. See how many things on this list match the packing list I posted in June. Recall that my plan was to use only one carry-on bag to avoid losing my luggage before my trip even began.
Aerosal spray bottles and cans
All creams and lotions including Neosporin or
first-aid creams and ointments, topical or rash creams and ointments, suntan lotions, moisturizers, etc.

Bug and mosquito sprays and repellents
Eye drops
Gel deodorants
Hair styling gels
Hair sprays of all kinds including aerosol
Hair straightener or detangler
Lip gels and balms
Lip glosses or liquids for lips
Liquid bubble bath including gel or liquid filled bubble bath balls or bath oils or moisturizers
Liquid foundations
Liquid, gel or spray perfumes or colognes
Liquid sanitizers
Liquid soaps
Make up removers or facial cleansers
Mascara
Non-prescription liquid or gel medicines like cough syrup and gel cap type pills
Mouthwash
Nail polish and removers
Saline solution
Shampoos and conditioners
Toothpaste
All beverages

Camelbaks and similar backpacks and water bottles
Cheese in pressurized containers
Duty free alcohol and other items
Gel based sports supplements
Jellos
Pudding
Whipped cream
Yogurt or gel like food substances
Baby teethers with gel or liquid inside

Children’s toys with gel inside
Gel candles
Gel shoe insert
Lighters

Exceptions
Eye drops - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you.
Gel Shoe Inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened.

Prescription and non-prescription medications and other medical needs
Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you

Baby formula and food, breast milk and other baby items

Basically, I can't bring any of the toiletries I purchased and collected over the last few months, with the thought that they would make my trip that much more pleasant.

At this point I am seriously considering checking a small bag of toiletries, even though I know the chances of it making it to Hanoi before my tour group leaves for the next city are slim to none.

The terrorists have won this round.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is amazing! (the fact that you are making this trip, not the TSA crap) I want to hear more details about how you decided to do this, how you planned it, what tour group you're with, etc...I would love to do something like this but have no clue where to start.

4:21 PM  
Blogger K said...

And that you can't bring on pudding--that to me, is the worst...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Pam PF said...

Hmmm....won't this kinda put the duty-free shops in the airport out of business? You come to those after you've already checked your bags, and if you can't bring the alcohol on the plane in your carryon, what are you to do? And buying cheap alcohol is the only redeeming thing about the airport!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home